| AdminHistory | Administrative History The present Victoria Park Baptist Church (then known as Grove Road Baptist Chapel) opened in December 1869. The church's origins can be traced to the early 1860s when the Reverend Allan Curr (who subsequently became minister of the Presbyterian Church in Bow) opened Peel-Grove Hall for preaching purposes. In 1865 he established a church at the junction of Roman and Grove Roads which was called "Union Church" and was open to communicants of any denomination though members of the Baptist persuasion were preferred. This venture proved unsuccessful and in 1867 the church was purchased by the London Baptist Association. The building was sold to the Church of England in 1868, becoming the church of St. Barnabas, and a new site was aquired a little further north in Grove Road. |