| AdminHistory | St Paul's German Reformed Church has its origins in the foundation in London, in 1697, of a German congregation of Calvinists who had fled religious persecution in the Palatinate. Services were initially held in the Chapel of the Savoy Palace until a church was built in nearby Duchy Lane in 1771. Worship continued as Lutheran Church in Savoy here until 1816 when the construction of Waterloo Bridge required its demolition. The congregation moved to Hooper Square in Whitechapel where a new German Reformed Church was built in 1818. Later in the century, however, railway construction in the vicinity made a further move necessary, to Goulston Street, Whitechapel where a new church was completed in 1887. The congregation continued to meet at the Goulston Street church until the building was destroyed by enemy action in 1941. Following the trend of many German Protestant churches to amalgamate, most of the remaining congregation then joined the St George's German Lutheran Church in Alie Street, Whitechapel, and the records of the church were transferred to the custody of the pastor of that church. |