| Description | King George's Hall was officially opened by Poplar Methodist Church on 15 November 1920. The building was subsequently destroyed by a landmine (which fell between the Church and King George's Hall during the Second World War), on 9 September 1940.
The property/site where the Hall had stood was sold (by the survivors of the original Trustees of the land and property which became known as King George's Hall in 1920) on 29 January 1954 to Vengalil Krishnan Krishna Menon and Shree Gopal Chandra. As part of the sale the then survivors of the Original Trustees advanced the buyers the sum of £13,500 to be repaid with interest, secured by means of a Registered Charge upon King George's Hall. The borrowers repaid the full amount which remained outstanding on the security of the Registered Charge, on 12 July 1963.
Material within these files relates to the subsequent complicated financial and legal relations between the Trustees of King George's Hall and the Trustees of Poplar Methodist Mission. This ultimately resulted in the Deed of Release and Indemnity (relating to the proceeds of sale of King George's Hall) being issued by the Trustees of Poplar Methodist Mission to the Trustees of King George's Hall on 14 May 1964.
The bomb damanged Hall itself was demolished in 1961. |