| AdminHistory | The Lighthouse Baptist Church has its origins in the 1860s when a Mr. Tucker held bible study meetings in the front room of his new house in Glaucus Street with the help of the Rev. J. R. Cox. The district at that time was predominantly given over to market gardens but was soon to be built over. As the meeting grew it moved to a larger disused room in River Street and then, in 1867, to a new chapel in Blackthorn Street built, possibly, with the help of Bow Baptist Church. In 1876 this chapel, known as the Lighthouse Mission, was enlarged or rebuilt. The present building, in Devons Road was opened in 1895, and the Blackthorn Street building became used mainly for Sunday school classes and continued to be a base for church activities until it was destroyed by enemy action in the Second World War.
Summary W/LBC/A RECORDS OF THE DEACONS W/LBC/B CHURCH REGISTERS W/LBC/C RECORDS OF THE PASTOR W/LBC/D RECORDS OF THE TREASURER W/LBC/E RECORDS OF THE CHURCH SECRETARY W/LBC/F RECORDS OF CHURCH CLUBS AND SOCIETIES
M. Barr-Hamilton Borough Archivist October 1999 |
| CustodialHistory | The records were deposited on indefinite loan in June 1999 and mainly date from after the Second World War. There is no known location for any earlier records. |