| AdminHistory | The synagogue was established in 1895 and dedicated in 1896 (1). Its congregation followed the Askenazi tradition. It was also known as the Warsaw Congregation and Benefit Society, and the New Warsaw Synagogue (2).
Gun Street, the location of the synagogue, originally ran north-south from Spital Square to Artillery Street (now part of Artillery Lane) and parallel with Stewart Street to the west, and Crispin Street to the east. The section south of Brushfield Street remains. The northern section was redeveloped, and forms part of the site of Spitalfields Market. (3)
The Gun Street Synagogue was affiliated to the Federation of Synagogues, many of whose records are held at the London Metropolitan Archive (4). The Federation began in 1887,with the aim of unifying the many small and impoverished congregations that had become established in London's East End. Today it is a network of constituent and affiliate communities. THLHLA holds some of the organisation's financial records (5).
Sources of Information: 1. 'Warsaw Synagogue': p.9 in The Jewish Chronicle, 17th April 1896 (British Newspaper Archive) 2/3. Congregation Data in jewishgen.org 4. Federation of Synagogues: Sources ACC 2893 Minutes; correspondence accounts and some minutes of individual synagogues 1887-1981 ACC 3016 Rabbinate Files; Talmud Torah Council Minutes 1939-1972 ACC 3027 Pinkas of various synagogues and Chevra Shass Cash Books 1891-1961 5. W/PRI/8/3 Accounts of The Federation of Synagogues 1939 (THLHLA) |