| AdminHistory | A new mortuary to cater for the whole of the Metropolitan Borough of Poplar was built on the corner of Cottage Street and Poplar High Street in 1910. This replaced four former mortuaries in Bickmore Street, St. Leonard's Road, Bow Churchyard and Wellington Road. See Poplar Borough Council's Annual Report for 1910-11, pages 156-161, for a plan and further details of the new mortuary. With the creation of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in 1965, it became the Tower Hamlets Public Mortuary. It came under control of Environmental Health department which transferred the records in 1987. |