| Description | Includes loose papers enclosed, 1765-1841. Note: the originals of these loose papers were missing from microfilming in 1969. Copies from the microfilm only (microfilm reference: 578799) are enclosed and labelled (MISC/40/1-6). Two originals of these loose items (MISC/40/2 and 4) were found and labelled (STE/129a + b).
A full list to the 6 loose papers:
1: Cover label from the former binding of STE/129, inscribed "St.George Middlesex Burial Dues, l841. Revd. R. Farington D.D., Rector, B.F.Skelton & J.Butler, churchwardens". 1841
2: Oath sworn by Thomas Umney of Broad Street, Ratcliff, undertaker, at the 'Public Office , Shadwell', that the St.George-in-the-East burial register entry for l6 Feb. 1797 relates to Henry, not Thomas, Hindley of Crombies Row, Mile End, and that the stone over the grave in the churchyard refers to Henry Hindley. 6 Sep. 1811[?]
3: Two sides of leaf from St.George-in-the-East day book of baptisms for 1765 [i.e. from STE/148], containing entries 13-22 Sep. 1765 for the following 14 baptisms: Jacob Pring, Lawrence Smith, Amelia Leven, Mary Parish, Michael Hall, Susannah Cooch, Henrietta Hastings, George Dixson, Sarah Tomlinson, Robert Roger Harris, Euphamia Drummond, Ann Drahadey, Sarah Ambry and Ann Poyntington.
4: Certified extract made 22 Jan. 1810 from St.George-in-the-East burial register re entry of 5 Feb. 1797 for William Ruck [ 'Rutt! stuck out, and note added 'the name is Ruck'] from St.Dunstan, Stepney, aged 28.
5: Incomplete slip issued by the Universal Medical Dispensary (signed by R.Roberts, apothecary) for presentation at church following a cure. May 1823 [the Universal Medical Dispensary, or Universal Medical Institution, situated in Old Gravel Lane, was a charity offering free medical relief to the poor, founded in 1792. See A. Highmore's 'Public Charities in London', l810, p.409 for more information ].
6: Memorandum re Mary Chiswell, stating that her husband is on board the Windsor Castle at Plymouth, Devon and that the writer (not named) had seen a letter written by him from the Downs on l5 Oct. 1823, at which time he was on board the Ramillies. 24 Nov. 1823 |