| AdminHistory | The Pilgrim House Settlement was founded in 1931 with the support of George Lansbury and other prominent figures for the benefit of the inhabitants of the neighbourhood of Old Ford. From the outset there was a close liaison with St Margaret's House, Bethnal Green, but had seperate governing bodies. In 1938 The Pilgrim Trust purchased No.1 Dace Road as a settlement and five adjoining cottages as an investment. The Settlement ran youth clubs, play groups and women's meetings. It was also the location for the then London County Council's (LCC) evening classes, and arranged holidays for children through the Country Holiday Fund. Following Second World War damage, the buildings were compulsorily acquired and instead of acquiring new premises, funds were used to make grants to other organisations including the maintenance of the Citizens Advice Bureau in Bow Road. In 1980 it was decided by Pilgrim House Council that the Settlement should cease to continue, which it did so as of 30 September 1980. (Full history can be read in the final page of the Minute Book) |
| CustodialHistory | Deposited by the last Hon. Secretary and Treasurer of Pilgrim House, Mr G H Sully, in September 1981. Earlier records of the Settlement were lost prior to deposit at THLHLA. |