| AdminHistory | Columbia Market was established in 1869 as a covered food market for 400 stalls by the philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts. However, it was never a success as the traders preferred selling outdoors. Prompted by Charles Dickens, she also built a separate U-shaped building nearby known as Columbia Dwellings, of several storeys, with a three-storey Gothic arch built into the brickwork of the central section. The market closed in 1886, after use as warehouses and small workshops. The building was demolished between 1958 and 1961. [source of information: http://archiseek.com/2012/1869-columbia-market-dwellings-london/].
Mr Robertson's father took the photographs of Columbia Market and the surrounding area, including Columbia Dwellings, during the 1950s in the period immediately prior to when they were demolished. |
| CustodialHistory | The images in this collection belonged to Mr Alfred Robertson and Mrs Carol Robertson prior to transfer to Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives in 2 deposits, on 13 and 19 June 2012 respectively |