| AdminHistory | Wellclose Square Fund Limited was established in 1959 for the rehabilitation of sex workers ('prostitutes') and girls in 'moral danger'. The Fund was formed by the Vicar of St Paul's Dock Street, Whitechapel, Father Joseph Williamson (1895-1988), popularly known as 'Father Joe'.
In 1987 the organisation changed name to become the Wellclose Square Trust. Father Williamson established so-called Wellclose Houses, which offered safe spaces for vulnerable young women: the first was in Wellclose Square in Stepney; there was a second in Goodmayes, Essex (which was closed in January 1978), and then one in Birmingham, which opened on 1 July 1970. Stepney Church House in Wellclose Square was closed on 30 April 1978; it was deemed that the House was no longer serving its original purpose, and the potential cost of repairs was also a factor in the decision. |
| CustodialHistory | Deposited in August 1984 by Reverend Prebendary Arthur Royall, Clergy Appointments Adviser, Church of England, Fielden House, Little College Street, Westminster, London SW1P 3SH. Reverend Prebendary Royall was a member of the Council of the Wellclose Square Fund and also sat on the working party which reported on the future of the Fund in August 1977. He evidently acquired these papers through his official role in that capacity. |