| AdminHistory | St. Matthias Church of England School originated in 1848 when George Green the shipbuilder and philanthropist of Blackwall Yard, had erected in Bow Lane (now Bazely Street) a school building known as Bow Lane School. The architect was Thomas Atherton. Girls were accommodated on the ground floor and boys on the upper floor. The school passed to Green's son and heir, Richard, who bequeathed to it an endowment of £6,000 and vested its management in the chaplain of the East India Company's chapel. In 1867, following the redesignation of the Poplar Chapel as St. Matthias's Church, the school was renamed St. Matthias School. At about this time it had 350 pupils.
In 1878 the school moved to premises in Grundy Street and remained there until the Second World War when, because of bomb damage it moved to Bullivant Street, in a building previously occupied by the Woolmore Street Infants School. The school closed in 1983 due to falling rolls. |
| CustodialHistory | The records were deposited at the Church of England Record Centre following the school's closure. Following a policy review by the National Society, in 2002 it was decided to deposit its holdings of local school records with appropriate local archive services. |