| AdminHistory | Morpeth Street Central School was established in 1910 as a result of the London County Council's (LCC) commitment to the construction of central schools across London, with the aim of serving the most able pupils in London's poorest areas. An entrance exam was set up and the School saw its first intake in 1911, made up of the top 5% of the high ability band in the old Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green. In 1927, following recognition of the need to provide more school places for older students, Portman Place Primary School (located opposite Morpeth) was closed, and the two buildings merged to form an enlarged Morpeth Street School.
During the Second World War, bombing destroyed the roof of the School's west wing (1940), and it became impossible to continue to operate on that site. As such, the School relocated to Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, leaving the site to double up as a rest centre for the Air Raid Precaution (ARP) wardens, and as HQ for the anti-aircraft crews who operated in Victoria Park. Following the end of the War, buildings were repaired and the School resumed operation.
The 1960s saw further expansion with the creation of a new north wing, and Morpeth became a flagship for the Wilson government's new comprehensive school model.
As of 2017, Morpeth operates as a co-educational school offered GCSE and A-Level courses for students aged 11-18. |
| CustodialHistory | The records of Morpeth School were donated from the school in a number of accessions by Frank Small, Morpeth School Librarian. |