| AdminHistory | St. Ethelburga's Society Schools were founded in the Inner Ward in 1720 by the members of the St. Ethelburga's Society, so called because the Society consisted of members of St. Ethelburga's Parish, though it was quite independent of St. Ethelburga's Church. The schools were situated in Wormwood Street. With the coming of the School Board for London in 1870 the schools were faced with death or absorption. The Trustees chose the latter alternative and in 1873 arrangements were made to amalgamate with the Bishopsgate Ward Schools.
The records cover the period from the early nineteenth century until its absorption by the Bishopsgate Ward Schools in 1873, and include committee minutes, admission registers and annual reports. The series of receipts, c.1802-1873, give details of a multiude of traders in the Bishopsgate area and the eastern fringes of the city. |