| AdminHistory | The Public Baths and Wash-Houses Acts of 1846 and 1847 enabled parishes to construct public facilities of this kind, the expense being met directly out of the Poor Rate or by loans obtained on a mortgage of the rates. The Acts (dubbed 'adoptive acts') were enlightened pieces of legislation which made provision for vestries to apply to the Local Government Board to take over the appointment, duties and liabilities of any existing Baths and Wash-House Commissioners. Many local authorities - as in this case - did not make use of these powers until the 1890s. The baths and wash-houses opened at 241 Roman Road on 27 July 1892. |