| AdminHistory | The Limehouse Savings Bank was started in 1816 as the Limehouse Provident Institution for Savings. It was one of many savings banks which began to develop in the early nineteenth century. It had an association with the church. In 1860 Reverend Edward Day, curate was chair at the Annual General Meeting [source: East London Observer, 7 January 1860]. The bank survived until circa 1896.
The bank had the following addresses and managers:
Addresses: 1845-1867: Featherstone Buildings, Salmons Lane, Limehouse 1870-1894: Dixon Street, Salmons Lane, Limehouse No address recorded in 1897.
List of managers: 1845-1848, 1857-1859: John Inglis, Manager 1855: William Frederick Hammond, Manager 1861-1875: William E Holland, Actuary 1889-1894: John Capes, Actuary
[Source: lists of addresses and managers from directories (Local History Library reference: LC51)] |
| CustodialHistory | The first ledger [STE/596] was donated by Peter Blythe in Feb 1976 after discovery in the crypt at St. Anne's Church, Limehouse. The remainder [TH/8564] were deposited by the incumbent of St. Anne's Church in Jul 1993. |