Record

RepositoryArchives
Reference NumberB/MIS/52
LevelFile
TitlePatent issued to Andrew Paton Charles, of the firm Paton and Charles, manufacturers of soap and candles of High Street, Wapping
Date(s)1862
DescriptionPatent No.3236, 1862, issued to Andrew Paton Charles of the firm Paton and Charles. For invention for 'improvements in candles and nightlights and in the lamps or apparatus for burning the same'.

Parchment, two sheets of vellum with an attached large wax seal contained within a lacquered brass circular tin, the patent is stored within its original wooden case. The case is covered in green leather with the patent office coat of arms in gold in the centre.
Extent1 box
AdminHistoryThe company operated from premises in Brewhouse Lane, Wapping, from around the mid-19th century. There is a Post Office entry, at that address, in 1843.

The company was well-established, when in 1881, four female workers testified before the Thames Magistrates Court, (following an inspection of factory premises), that the company often expected them to work beyond the normal ten-hour day. (1) Mr Lushington the Magistrate criticized the company's lack of 'due diligence in observing the provisions of the (Factory) Acts' and fined it £8.16s (worth approximately £1,014.65 in 2020: Bank of England Inflation Calculator).

Like many employers, Paton and Charles sought influence via local organisations. Proceedings of local Boards of Guardians (BOGS), reveal how Paton and Charles were often awarded the contract to provide soap to institutions run by BOGS(2/3). Someone with the surname 'Paton' is recorded as a member of Stepney BOGS (4) and the Limehouse Board of Works(5). The company also patronised charitable initiatives, among them the Seamen's Christian Friends Society (6) and the Hospital Saturday Fund (7).

Sources of information:
1. policemagistrates.blog
2. 'Stepney BOGS': p.3 in the East London Observer (ELO), Saturday 16th March 1889
3. 'Bethnal Green BOGS': p.6 in the ELO, Saturday 16th March 1907
4. 'Stepney BOGS' (Ibid)
5. 'Limehouse Board of Works': p.7 in the ELO, Saturday, 10th August 1889
6.'Seamen's Christian Friends Society ': p.6 in the ELO, Saturday, 14th May 1881
7. 'London Workshop Collection of The Hospital Saturday Fund': p.5 in the ELO, Saturday 24th September 1887
(References 2-7 : British Newspaper Archive)
RelatedMaterialFurther records held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, series ref: O/094
PhysicalDescriptionFragile. Minor damage to the seal but otherwise in good condition.
Access StatusOpen
AccessConditionsOpen, however, extra care is needed when retrieving and handling this patent.
RequestYES - You can order this material to consult in our Reading Room.
Add to My Items

    Collection highlights

    Highlights from across our collections about London’s East End