Record

RepositoryArchives
Reference NumberS/NCB
LevelFonds
Creator_NameNew Cambridge Boys' Club
Cambridge and Bethnal Green Boys' Club
Cambridge and Bethnal Green Jewish Boys' Club
TitleRecords of the New Cambridge Boys' Club and predecessors
Date(s)1930-2015
DescriptionThe records relate to the New Cambridge Boys' Club (1955-1990) and its predecessor organisations, the Cambridge and Bethnal Green Boys' Club (1938-1955) and the Cambridge and Bethnal Green Jewish Boys' Club (1924-1937).

They have been arranged into the following five series' which reflect the Club's main activities and the way in which it operated.

S/NCB/1 - Administration.
Records relating to the core administration of the Club.

S/NCB/2 - Events.
Records relating to the Club's events.

S/NCB/3 - Members.
Records relating to the membership of the Club.

S/NCB/4 - Publications.
Records relating to the publications produced by the Club.

S/NCB/5 - Staff.
Records relating to one of the Club's core members of staff, Harry Titchener, MBE.

Click the PDF icon to browse descriptions to this collection in PDF
Extent9 boxes
AdminHistoryIn 1924 a group of Cambridge University graduates and their friends founded a Jewish Boys' Club in Bethnal Green. Joe and Harry Wolfe, Justin Richardson and Stuart Essinger were the leaders of a group of young men who launched the organisation known as the Cambridge and Bethnal Green Jewish Boys' Club. The first premises for the Club were at a disused public house in Chance Street called The Blue Anchor.

In 1936 George Lotinga took over leadership of the Club, instigating its reorganisation as an interdenominational Boys' Club. In 1938 the reorganised club was renamed the Cambridge and Bethnal Green Boys' Club. The policy proved to be a great success and from 1938 until the outbreak of the Second World War the club grew in size and influence. With the outbreak of the war numbers were depleted but the Club continued under the leadership of Harry Titchener, first in temporary premises loaned by Oxford House and later at premises at Victoria Road School. Eric Chamberlain led the Club during the immediate post-war years, followed by Ronald Fellman in the 1950s.

In 1955, the Trustees of the Cambridge and Bethnal Green Boys' Club decided to support an amalgamation of the Club with Hackney Associated Clubs to become the Cambridge and Hackney Associated Clubs. However, support for this development was not unanimous and it was evident that there were those who were keen to keep a boys' club in place in Bethnal Green for local residents. The result was a decision for the amalgamation to proceed but for a residual club to remain at Virginia Road which would receive financial assistance (by way of a grant) from Cambridge and Hackney Associated Clubs to help support its operations. The new club became known as the New Cambridge Boys' Club and was officially opened on 18 June 1955. The consitution documents for the new club ouline its remit:

'The general objects of the Club shall be to promote the mental spiritual and physical well being of the boys and young men in poor circumstances resident in or near the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green without regard to their colour race or religion by provision of facilities for their leisure time education and recreation'. [S/NCB/1/1/15]

Harry Titchener was directly involved with the leadership of the Club until his retirement in 1978 and was officially recognised for his efforts through the award of an MBE in January 1970. He died in 1983.

The New Cambridge Boys' Club closed in 1990.
RelatedMaterialThe George M. Lotinga Memorial Trophy within Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives' Museum Collection (reference no: 650). The trophy was awarded annually to the club member of the year.

There is also an uncatalogued series of photographs mounted on 12 boards (see TH/8411 for location).

The Bishopsgate Institute Library holds 3 boxes of material relating to the Cambridge and Bethnal Green Boys' Club (dated 1958-2011), including moving image records and papers. Details of this material can be found by searching entries for Cambridge and Bethnal Green Boys' Club at the following links: http://www.bishopsgate.org.uk/LibraryCatalogue and http://www.aim25.ac.uk .
SubjectYouth organisations
Bethnal Green
ArchNoteCatalogued by Natasha O'Neill, November 2011.
Access StatusOpen
AccessConditionsSome material within this collection has been closed under the current Data Protection legislation as the records concerned contain personal data of children. Please check specific items for details and refer any queries to the Heritage Officer (Archives).
RequestNO - This does not represent a physical document. Please click on the reference number and view list of records to find material available to order at file or item level.
Multimedia

c3\035472-50a7-448a-bd59-243c90c49765.pdf

Show related Persons records.

Add to My Items