Reference NumberP/OBC
Alternative Reference NumberTH/8336
Creator_NameCotter, Cornelius, 1896-1943, doctor
O'Brien, Henry Joseph, 1863-1942, doctor
TitlePapers of Dr H. J. O'Brien and Dr C. Cotter (in practice at 96 East India Dock Road)
DescriptionScope and content
This collection consists of miscellaneous personal papers and two files concerning accounts.

Click the PDF icon to browse descriptions to this collection in PDF
Extent11 items
AdminHistoryAdministrative History
Dr Henry Joseph O'Brien, born in Ireland c.1863, came to East London in the 1880s, having trained at the Catholic University in Dublin, and was divisional surgeon at the K (Limehouse) Division of the Metropolitan Police from c.1899 to 1919 [see the East London Advertiser for 31 May 1919 for an account of his retirement presentation]. He was a friend of Canon Timothy Ring (parish priest of St Mary and St Michael's, Commercial Rd) and Canon Thomas Doyle (parish priest of St Mary and St Joseph's, Poplar). The Post Office Directory for 1889 lists him at 96, East India Dock Road, where he remained until shortly before his death on 29 September 1942, aged 78, at Hillingdon Court, Hillingdon. He was buried at St.Patrick's Cemetery, Leytonstone. [See the East End News for 9 October 1942 for his obituary].

Dr Cornelius Cotter, born in Ireland c.1896, was the son of Eugene Cotter of Blarney, Co Cork, and came to Poplar in 1924, having previously served as a surgeon in the Navy. He married Hylda O'Brien, daughter of Dr. Henry Joseph O'Brien, in 1924, and was in general practice with Dr O'Brien at 96 East India Dock Road. In addition he held a number of other posts, including that of Chairman of the Tower Hamlets Division of the British Medical Association for eight years. After the house in East India Dock Road was badly damaged by a bomb in World War II, he moved to Bickley Lodge, Lee Green, SE12, and died (aged 47) in May 1943, being buried in Eltham Cemetery [See the East End News for 21 May 1943 for his obituary].
The following five photographs, deposited by Mrs Cotter with the above collection, have been added to the Local History Library's photograph collection [classification number shown in brackets]:
(1) View of the exterior of 96 East India Dock Road, following bomb damage (033)
(2) Group photograph showing Canon Ring with senior clerics, c.1920s-1930s (100 R)
(3) Group photograph showing Dr O'Brien [far left, smoking cigarette] with three other gentlemen, c.1920s (100 O'B)
(4) and (5) Photographs showing Dr O'Brien seated inside 'Charlie Brown's', West India Dock Road, c.1930s (100 O'B and 653.2)
Access StatusOpen
RequestNO - This does not represent a physical document. Please click on the reference number and view list of records to find material available to order at file or item level.


Add to My Items

    Collection highlights

    Highlights from across our collections about London’s East End