﻿<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rdf:Description rdf:about="https://www.thcatalogue.org.uk:443/CalmView/record/catalog/L/CCS/10/1" xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
  <dc:title>Scrapbook</dc:title>
  <dc:description>Sumerset Job Hyam (b. 1831) was appointed vestry clerk on 25 March (Lady Day) 1859. Papers relating to the parish charities had been lost or stolen from the previous clerk, and Hyam sought to replace this information from various other documentary sources; the information thus gathered was copied into books and periodically reported to the vestry. Hyam discovered that prior to 1838 no accounts of charity distribution within the parish had been kept. At the vestry meeting held on 27 December 1865 a committee was appointed to inquire more fully into the adminstration of the various parish charities; Hyam was ordered to produce a short report which would be subsequently updated and printed annually so as to keep the parish ratepayers fully informed. Some of the notes, press-cuttings and papers relate to Hyam's work in this regard. The later correspondence and papers relating to the history of the church, which date from the 1890s, are papers of the incumbent, Reverend John Hubert Scott (d. 1919) (see his 'Short History of Spitalfields 1197-1894' (L3099); a further copy (LC9177) includes brief manuscript annotations, press-cuttings, illustrations and notes tipped in).

The page numbering is inconsistent. Many pages appear to be missing; both Hyam's and Scott's papers may have once formed separate coherent collections. The inconsistent page numbering probably occurred when the material was bound together in the 20th century. 

Indexed; includes the following pages and folios (ff):

p. 2: Examination of Thomas Waggott (of the parish of Rithland in the County of Flintshire) apprehended as rogue and vagabond in the parish of Christ Church, 10 December 1774

p. 7: In Memoriam card: issued at the burial of the Reverend Morris Thomas, vicar of St Mary's, Spital Square, 4 January 1894

p. 7: Letter from the Reverend Thomas to Reverend Scott, 18 December 1893

p. 9: Valuation of the schools, engine-house and watch-house of the parish, April l84l

p. 10: Copy extracts from faculty for erection of Spitalfields Charity School, 4 May 1782; and lease of property at rear of schools (including plan), 13 April l808

p. 11: List of (40) schools in Spitalfields, showing numbers of boys and girls, and giving owners' names and addresses, June l834

p. 28: Apprenticeship indenture: Richard Williamson, of Canterbury, to Thomas Law, woolcomber, of Spitalfields, 17 November 1730

pp. 29-30: Bond: Richard Allen, of Southampton, throwster, John Allen, of Southwark, dyer, and William Allen, of Lambeth, clerk, to Richard Carter, of Spitalfields, tallowchandler, 15 January 1735

pp. 31-32: List of monuments and tablets in church and churchyard, 10 September 1894

p. 34: Case relating to Spitalfields Workhouse, 1 July 1728 (an abstract of extracts from the town minutes, l669-1716)

pp. 73-74: Official report to the Commissioners of Police on the Crown Jewels and Tower Fire, 9-15 November 1841

p. 80: Letters of resignation as Joint Lecturer of Charles Pryce, 84 Hatton Garden, 20 September l815, and John Davies, Lower Tooting, 3 September l808

pp. 137-138: Colour plan of proposed scheme for laying out churchyard drawn up by Francis Le Rossignol, architect and surveyor, of 1 Gresham Buildings, Basinghall Street, London EC, n.d. [but possibly 1890s]

p. 142: Testimonial to Reverend John Patteson, May 1867

p. 143: Note on Benefaction Boards (which were removed from the church in 1866)

p. 177: Letter of thanks from the Guildhall Library to Sumerset Job Hyam for his donation of a copy of his 'Account of the Charitable Benefactions belonging to the Parish of Christ Church, Spitalfields', 4 May 1866

pp. 181ff: Report of the Committee appointed to enquire...as to the administration of the parochial charities, no date [probably January 1866]

p. 217ff: List of lecturers of Christ Church, Spitalfields, 1792-1863; with aditional biographical papers on, and correspondence from, lecturers, compiled by Hyam

p. 252: Letter concerning measurements of Christ Church from (Sir) Reginald Theodore Blomfield, architect, to Reverend John Hubert Scott, 31 December 1894  

Also includes pages cut and pasted in from Hyam's account of the 'Charitable Benefactions belonging to the Parish of Christ Church, Spitalfields', with his supplementary manuscript notes and additions.</dc:description>
  <dc:date>1 July 1728 - 6 June 1896</dc:date>
</rdf:Description>