RepositoryArchives
Ref NoW/LAS
Alt Ref NoSTE/868-877
LevelFonds
TitleRecords of Little Alie Street Baptist Church, Whitechapel
Date1750 - 1921
DescriptionRecords of Little Alie Street Baptist Church, Whitechapel, 1750-1921.

Click the PDF icon to browse descriptions to this collection in PDF format.
Extent7 files, 10 volumes, 6 items
AdminHistoryLittle Alie Street Baptist Church was established in 1754 following schism in the Baptist church at Prescot Street, Whitechapel over the appointment of James Fall as minister. Fall died in 1756 and was succeeded by John Gill junior and from 1757-1795 by William Dowars at which time the church closed. It was reorganised and W. Shenston became minister in 1798. A Sunday school was begun in 1806. In 1807 Jonathan Franklin led off the hyper-Calvinists to form a church in Mile End New Town. Shenston died in 1833 and was succeeded by Philip Dickerson. In 1846 the church joined the London Strict Baptist Association. Subsequent ministers were C. Masterson, 1871-1882, R. E. Sears, 1883-1894 and J. McKee, 1896-1899. The lease on the building expired in 1902 by which time Goodmans Fields had become a very predominantly Jewish district. The building was converted to a synagogue in 1909.
CustodHistThe records were deposited as a gift by Mr. George Ince, a member of a family long associated with the church, in 1984. They were originally catalogued as part of the Stepney Manuscript Series (ref. STE/868-877) but have now been re-classified as W/LAS.

It appears from a label with the documents that in July 1962 they were in the possession of the Metropolitan Association of Strict Baptist Churches, based at Mount Zion Chapel, Chadwell Street EC1.
Subject(s)Baptist chapels
Baptists
Access StatusOpen
RequestNO - This does not represent a physical document. Please click on the reference number and view list of records to find material available to order at file or item level.
Multimedia

67\0a64ca-7b32-4054-9b0c-5878e9c7ce5a.pdf

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022