RepositoryArchives
Ref NoS/BRA
LevelFonds
TitleRecords of the Brady Clubs (Jewish youth clubs), Whitechapel
Date1925 - 1981
DescriptionRecords of the Brady Clubs, including minutes, membership, building plans, photographs and printed material.

Click the PDF icon to browse descriptions to this collection in PDF format.
Extent93 volumes/files
AdminHistoryThe first Brady Club for Boys was opened in Whitechapel in 1896. It was pioneered by a group of wealthy West End Jews, including Lady Rothschild. Its chief remit was to improve the quality of life for working lads from London's East End, whose families were mainly refugees from Germany and Russia. Another objective was to anglicize the boys, most of whom had Yiddish as their first language.

In its early years, the Club facilitated educational and recreational opportunities, and holidays at a network of summer camps. The Club enjoyed the leadership of some remarkable individuals in its time. One was local campaigner Miriam Moses, who founded the Girls' Club in 1921 in premises in Hanbury Street. She was later elected as the first female mayor of Stepney in 1931.

By the end of the war, the Boys' Club had moved from its original premises in Brady Street, via Durward Street, and thence to Hanbury Street, where it combined with the Girls' Club.
The Club continued to thrive as a result of an expanding programme. This included a non-denominational creche; an Old Members' Club and camps and holidays in Britain and abroad.
The Club offered amateur dramatics; sporting activities; a camera club; scouts and guides troupes and many practical workshops.

Attendance began to decline in the 1970s, owing to the dispersal of the local Jewish community to other parts of London. The last youth members left around the late 1970s.

The Hanbury Street site was sold to Tower Hamlets Council and renamed The Brady Arts and Community Centre.

In the 1990s the original Brady Club moved to premises in North London. In 2017 The Brady Clubs and Settlement which had been registered on 24 September 1964 (charity number: 303241) transferred its funds to The Bradian Trust. The Trust (charity number: 280560) was formed in 1980. It funds the advancement of education of young people by helping them to develop their mental, spirital and physical capacities through leisure time activities.

Old members continued to organise similar events and activities. The momentum of the original clubs continues, via reunions of past members, and its photographic archive.

Sources consulted include:
eastendarchive.org/COLLECTIONS/The Brady Club.aspx
spitalfields.com/2018/05/03at-the-brady-clubs
" Whitechapel's Brady Club Secrets uncovered in an old loft after 50 years"
(East London Advertiser: 4th April, 2018)
Bradyarchive.co.uk (Photographic Archive)
CustodHistThe first deposit was transferred in September 1981 and donated by Mr L. Lawrence with additions received with approval of Mr N. Page, Leader of Brady in August 1982. These were initially catalogued in the Stepney (STE) manuscript series before being recatalogued under S/BRA. The rest (TH/8354) was donated in 26 April 1989 by Frances Lane of the Spitalfields (Brady) Centre, Hanbury Street.
Related MaterialIn the Local History Library there is a sizable collection of images, pamphlets and cuttings relating to the Brady Clubs.

The Brady Photographic Archive began as several hundred photographs which had lain undiscovered in a Clerkenwell loft for many years. The collection's previous home had been the Museum of Labour in Limehouse. The rediscovered photographs became the subject of an exhibition in 2018, and subsequently the Brady Archive. This is not held by Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives. For online digital copies see Bradyarchive.co.uk
For details on the archive see also celebratingjewisharchives.org/archives_locations/the-brady-photographic-archive/

In 2020, further records were deposited at Bishopsgate Institute: papers, artefacts, photographs, artworks and publications. Reference BRADY.
Subject(s)Youth organizations
Jews
Whitechapel
Access StatusOpen
Access_ConditionsMaterial within this collection has been closed under current Data Protection legislation as the records concerned contain sensitive personal data. Please check specific item level descriptions for details, and refer any queries to the Heritage Officer (Archives).
RequestNO - This does not represent a physical document. Please click on the reference number and view list of records to find material available to order at file or item level.
Multimedia

db\20e1d8-7c56-453d-89db-2edad049ec17.pdf

    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022