|AdminHistory||The Association, then known as the Bethnal Green (Bombed Sites) Producers Association was formed at a public meeting of all those working on bombed sites, at Bethnal Green. Sir Wyndham Deedes was elected chairman. By October 1942 the Association had about 200 members and thirty sites were under cultivation. A year later the membership had more than doubled and over 300 sites were being cultivated, amounting in total to approximately 10.5 acres. In addition there were about 4,000 rabbits, 2,000 chickens, 9 goats, some ducks and geese and 10 pigs. |
In November 1945 the name of the Association changed to the Bethnal Green Allotment and Garden Association reflecting a move away from bomb site cultivation many of which had become used for the erection of temporary housing accommodation. The Association flourished for many years but by 1984, with membership dwindling, it was wound up.
|CustodialHistory||The records were donated anonymously, by a former member of the Association, in July 1985.|