|Description||Scope and Content|
These 7 certificates, issued by the Marine Department of the Committee of Council for Trade, were found by Mr. and Mrs. Curtis inside the wall of no.62 Chisenhale Rd. (this house was formerly no.10 Chisenhale Rd; the street numbering was altered in July 1876). They were probably placed inside the wall at the time when, or soon after, the house was built-about 1868 or 1869. The first inhabitant of the house, living there until at least 1894, was George Christopher Simmonds, Deputy Superintendent of the Marine Board, which may account for the presence of these Seamen's Discharge Certificates in the house. As well as the information shown below, the certificates include character references for the seamen plus details of the ship (tonnage, port of registry, etc) from which they were discharged.