RepositoryArchives
Ref NoI/SMH
Alt Ref NoTH/8413
LevelFonds
Creator_NameSt Margaret's House, Bethnal Green
TitleRecords of St. Margaret's House, Bethnal Green
Date1872 - 1988
DescriptionScope and content
The records include the following series:
SMH/1 Minutes of the Committee
SMH/2 Evidences of Title and other Legal Documents
SMH/3 Records re Structure of Buildings
SMH/4 Annual reports
SMH/5 Bulletins
SMH/6 Plans
SMH/7 Press Cuttings
SMH/8 Miscellaneous Printed Material

Click the PDF icon to browse descriptions to this collection in PDF format.
Extent96 items
AdminHistoryAdministrative History
St. Margaret's House was founded in 1889 as a sister settlement to the Oxford House (founded in 1884) and to work particularly among women and children in Bethnal Green. It was run by a committee of Oxford women and alumnae of Cheltenham Ladies' College and was established at Mayfield House, 1-3 Old Ford Road. St. Margaret's House moved to 4, Victoria Park Square in 1893 but it soon outgrew these premises and moved to a large and rather dilapidated Georgian house, no. 21 Old Ford Road, in 1900. Further expansion took place in 1946 when the Trustees purchased no. 19 Old Ford Road.
St. Margaret's House ran a wide variety of clubs and services which were available to the population of Bethnal Green including pensioners' clubs, mothers' clubs, women's sewing groups, boys' clubs, cookery clubs and discussion groups. A day care centre and citizens advice bureau were also operated from St. Margaret's House. which continues as a community centre offering a wide range of activities and services to the local community.
Subject(s)Settlements
Bethnal Green
Access StatusOpen
RequestNO - This does not represent a physical document. Please click on the reference number and view list of records to find material available to order at file or item level.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022